If you are divorced and have children, family lawyers will tell you that if you wish to take them out of the country for a vacation or any other reason, then there are certain procedures and documentation that should be completed. Some of the documents you may already have, including the children’s passports and birth certificates, however, there is another which you may need, namely a Child Travel Consent Form.

Child Travel Consent Form – What Is It?

A child travel consent form is a document that can be used by parents and guardians of children to prove to authorities that a child is lawfully able to travel with them, including overseas, and has permission to do so, either from both parents or an absent parent where the child’s parents are divorced. Depending on the divorce settlement and orders relating to child custody and visitation, it may also be required to travel with a child to another state.

Other titles you might see a child travel consent form be given include:

Despite all the different names for the form, they all serve more or less the same function.

Who Needs A Child Travel Consent Form?

The form is not just for when a lone parent wishes to travel overseas with the child, but in the following circumstances also:

  • The child is travelling with an adult who is not one of their parents such as an older sibling, aunt, uncle, grandparent, or a family friend
  • The child is being chaperoned by a member of their school staff.
  • The child is travelling alone.

Note that a child travel consent form can be obtained in all eight the following states:

  • Western Australia
  • New South Wales
  • Queensland
  • South Australia
  • Tasmania
  • Victoria
  • Northern Territory
  • Australian Capital Territory

What Information Does A Child Travel Consent Form Have?

Most child travel consent forms will include the following information:

  • Child’s details, including their name, gender, and date of birth.
  • Details of the person or people that the child will be travelling with including their name, address, and passport details.
  • Details of the travel and itinerary the form relates to, whether it is domestic or overseas, destinations, dates of departure and arrival.
  • Child’s passport details if required.
  • Child’s birth certificate details if required.
  • Signature(s) of parent(s).

The child’s birth certificate and passport details may not always be necessary, especially if the travel is domestic rather than international.

Who Gives The Consent?

This will depend on several factors including whether the child is travelling on their own, with one parent, with both parents, or with a third party such as a teacher on a school trip. In most cases consent is given by whoever has legal custody of the child which would be:

  • A lone parent who has sole custody of the child.
  • Both the child’s parents if they are not travelling with the child.
  • The child’s legal guardian or guardians

Why Use A Child Travel Consent Form?

Divorce lawyers will advise you that the main reason you would wish to have the form is to prove that are legally allowed to travel with the child. This is especially so if you are a divorced parent travelling overseas. It can make your journey through passport and border control much smoother if you can show the form to authorities rather than being questioned and having to explain yourself at length.